Monday, March 18, 2013

Mother 1

I've been putting off writing the past couple days for a couple reasons. I'm not really sure how to attack this ^ topic, my kids have been sick so I don't get a chance to write, and I've been lazy about it. Again I'm going to stick with not using real names of people or places.

My mother grew up in Little/Big town (has the characteristics of a little, closed minded, stuck in their ways town but is one of the biggest in the area with several different school districts and tons of big businesses). She has two brothers one older (Ogre) and one younger (Mr. Perfect). Ogre was not very nice to my mother, he would beat her up, treat her as if she were scum and disowned friends that attempted to be friends with her. He married a woman and had two daughters with her, one exactly 6 months older than me (Bitch) and the other a couple years younger (Lush). When Bitch was in her teens Ogre and his wife divorced because he was cheating on her with Sweet Willow. He then moved into the house he grew up in with Sweet Willow, Mr. Perfect owns it but their mother still lives in the upstairs. To this day Ogre still lives there with Sweet Willow and their mother upstairs. Mr. Perfect went into civil service first working as a police officer then transferring to the fire department, now he's retired from the fire department and got his nursing degree. He married this one woman who cheated on him and then married again when I was in elementary school, he married Disney. Disney had two boys from a previous marriage one my age and one two years older, Mr. Perfect wound up adopting them from their biological father a year after they got married. Disney is also a nurse and with both kids out of the house they spend a lot of time traveling (to Disney World at least once a year plus many other places).

My mother's relationship with her father wasn't the greatest. He was very old school and believed women belonged in the kitchen, he also had a drinking and temper problem. He died when my mother was in her twenties before I was born. My mother and her mother weren't close until the past couple years. My grandmother always favored the boys, they could do nothing wrong. And I guess the years of my mother throwing herself at my grandmother's feet finally worked. The family as a whole isn't very warm and welcoming. I've heard from numerous people coming in from the outside that they felt very excluded and uncomfortable. They aren't the type to run into your arms and hug you and swing side to side saying how much they missed you into your ear before giving you a huge wet kiss on the cheek. They are the type that tries to touch the least amount when giving a hug or kiss and for the shortest amount of time. At this point in time the siblings all live within 5 minutes of each other and only get together on holidays or events. My mother does see my grandmother at least once a week for lunch and/or breakfast at this luncheonette they have been going to since they were children. Sometimes Ogre goes there with Sweet Willow and he will barely say hi and never sit with them.

When my mother graduated high school she was given a full ride to a very good art school but since her parents were very old school hey didn't believe in girls going to college let alone for art. She started working for a big company in the utilities field doing blue collar work. This is where she met my father, you all know what happens there. I have mixed info about when they divorced and why but basically I was a toddler and he was drinking a lot and cheating on her. The story she told me was that one day she left for her morning shift (8am-4pm) and when she returned he was passed out with an empty six pack next to him and I had been in my crib crying, hadn't been touched all day, no diaper change and no food and that was her breaking point.

Almost immediately after divorcing my father she started dating Girly Voice. He had three children from his first marriage, all older than me, two boys and a girl. Not long after they started dating we moved into his parent's house, in Money Town, it was right before I started elementary school. Money Town was higher economic status than we were, none of the women worked and looked down on us because my mother did. Not long after we moved in his parents moved to Florida full time, his daughter then moved in with us, his sons stayed with their mother. When I was about halfway through second grade my mother caught him cheating with his ex-sister-in-law (kinda Jerry Springer, a lot of my mother's crap is very trashy), there was a message left on our answering machine that told her. So she quickly moved us back to Little/Big Town, at first we stayed with her best friend (Ditzy) who I always referred to as my aunt and her kids as my cousins, just until she finished closing on a house and we could move in, December 1992. Ditzy and her daughter moved in with us. Years later my father asked me if Girly Voice ever touched me, said that people around work (Girly Voice and my father still worked with my mother), talked and said he touched his boys. As far as I can remember he never touched me, I wouldn't have let him either (I just want to clarify this, at a very young age I knew what was ok and what wasn't, I knew what sex was and I was very independent). Kinda of funny that my father waited several years to ask about it and not make a bigger deal about me living with him.

At the time we moved in my mother had a new boyfriend, he was a guy that hung out at the bar she went to with her coworkers. He was a low-life that lived in his friend's basement and didn't work for a living.

Then one morning, spring/summer time, I was sitting in the kitchen and a man came walking out of my mother's bedroom in just a pair of boxers. I shall call him Piece of Shit (POS), sometime that afternoon my mother asked me if I liked him and I told her straight out no. She then asked me why and I said I didn't know, keep in mind I'm only 8, I just had a weird feeling about him. Her response was to tell me that I needed to have a reason, well it was more of a yell at me. She then explained to me that they did a bad thing and they would have to talk to the other low-life, POS was his best friend. Low-life and POS basically hung out in bars all the time with each other and somehow my mother wound up bringing POS home and sleeping with him. POS moved in with us almost right away and I had to start calling him dad. POS didn't work, he would spend a week or two at a job and then quit (later my mother found out that he was just avoiding child support). He had two daughters from a marriage, who we didn't meet until I was in college. POS liked to spend my mother's money, remodeling the kitchen and deciding to breed fancy tail guppies and sell them. He bought more guppies and tanks than he ever came close to selling. I still to this day have a fear of fish because of this. There were about 1,200 fish in our basement and I would have to go down there and feed them or help him out. The smell was horrible and the fish would jump out of the tanks and I would step on them all the time. That fall my mother made the announcement that she was pregnant...

No comments:

Post a Comment