Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weight Loss

Thinking about losing some weight? Who isn't? Whether it is baby weight or just pounds packed on over the years, the best time to make that change is now not tomorrow. Almost a year ago I decided to make a life change, not a New Years Resolution. My change was that I wanted to be healthy, feel comfortable in my body, be around for a long time for my kids, and have the energy to be the outgoing mom my kids deserve.
When I was 22 my father died from a heart attack. He has missed so much of my life in the past 6... 7 years. I do NOT want my kids to not have me around for major times in their lives. During both my pregnancies I was borderline gestational diabetic, if you have gestational diabetes you are very likely do develop diabetes within 5 years. I would have had diabetes by the time I was 31, that is scary. Having to prick my finger 3-4 times a day plus miss out on food I enjoyed, not what I wanted.
So a year ago I made the decision to order Nutrisystem, this would be the very first time in my life that I would choose to diet and lose weight. In high school my mother forced me to do several fad diets/ diet pills. It never worked, mostly because I didn't stick with it and they were fad diets. Because of that I resisted doing anything relating to my weight, which also consisted of going to the doctor for annual checkups because I didn't want to hear it from the doctor that I was unhealthy.
January 16th 2013 was my very first day doing the Nutrisystem program. I weighed in at 258.2 pounds, I was wearing size 24/26 pants. In February I started working out with a group of women I met through the Nutrisystem online community. We started with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. After we finished that we did Jillian Michaels 90 day Body Revolution. Midway through April I was down 25 pounds, by middle of July I was down 40 pounds. I struggled at times but I have never regained the weight. Each time you lose 10 pounds Nutrisystem sends you this cute little bear, that become very special to you, by October I received my 50 pound Nutribear. At the end of October I joined a gym and go 5 times a week. Then in November I started working out with a trainer 1-2 times a week. Right now I am working on getting my 70 pound Nutribear. As of this morning I weighed in at 194.8 and am wearing a size 14 jean (not comfy pants). This year I plan on reaching my goal weight and body fat percentage, 135/20-25%. It is taking some time but this isn't a resolution it is a life change. I have learned so much from this life change and so much about me has changed. I am doing more with my children, not tired nearly as much, happier, I find ways to show off my body not hide it.
Why am I sharing this? So that you know anyone can do it. Whatever program you are thinking of doing, stop thinking and start doing. I knew nothing about nutrition and working out, I still have a lot to learn but now I am able to give my kids a better start. I don't want them to EVER have to worry about their weight and health. I want health and exercise to just be a part of their lives. Eat well rounded meals, save treats for special occasions, and to be active daily. It is cute because when I do workout DVDs at home they will try to do things with me (ages 1 and 3).
Ok so a program like Nutrisystem may sound expensive... It can be, however I some secrets to share with you...
1. If you sign up for the automatic delivery, each month you have an order process the cost goes down by about $10. This is for the first 5 months. So my very first order was about $250, I chose the cheapest plan. Then after the 5 months it was down to $203.
2. Some health insurance companies offer discounts on diet programs. No need to call up your insurance provider and sit on hold for an hour either. Call the customer service for the diet program and ask them. I get a 12% discount with Nutrisystem and all I had to do was tell the customer service agent what insurance company I had, 5 minute phone call. This brought my plan down to $190
3. Nutrisystem has a click program. Everyday an article, with very useful information, is posted on their website. You go read it and then click on a box/picture on the side of the page. 50 clicks (days) gets a $10 off coupon. Check with whatever plan you decide to use for little perks like this one.
4. Costco gift cards, this might be one for Nutrisystem only but it's worth a shot if you are trying something else. Costco sells Nutrisystem $100 gift cards for $80 normally, then every once in a while has a sale on them for either $60 or $50. If you buy a bunch of cards when they are $50 you are then only paying for half the cost of an entire month of food! I am paying $95 a month for food, 3 meals and 1 snack a day! Even if you don't have a costco membership you can still get these wonderful gift cards, they just add a couple dollars to each card you buy.
5. Lastly My programs will have refer a friend deals. If you get a friend to sign up you will get a one time coupon. Nutrisystem will give the referrer and the referee $30 off. If anyone reading this is interested in signing up feel free to send me your email address and I will send you a $30 off coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment