Thursday, June 20, 2013

College

College was a struggle for me. Between the lack of time management, lack of study skills and my life always being a little stressful, it wasn't easy to get through. My first year I tried to enjoy myself, I was finally able to let loose and act my age for once in my life and I did. I didn't focus much time on studying and reading. My second year I started dating Mr. Money and I was struggling to work, have time with friends, have my relationship, take care of Mr. Money, and be in school full time. My third year working a lot more to pay for living on my own, taking care of Mr. Money, Mr. Money developing the pain killer addiction, and again being in school full time. My fourth year giving up on Mr. Money, breaking up with him, and working plus school full time. By the time the second semester began I decided that I wouldn't take a full class load and I would stay an extra semester. I felt like I had missed out on so much those years I was with Mr. Money and my school and grades were suffering. I decided taking my time and getting my grades up would be best. 
For some reason in my mother's head she had planned that I would go away to college, graduate, move home and she would give me the house after I got married and had kids of my own. The phase "keep the house in the family name" had been thrown around a lot. I never had a desire to move back home let alone stay in the house forever and raise a family in it. The house was filled with bad memories, it wasn't a place I would look forward to coming home to or want my children to come running home to after school. The house has no yard and it isn't anything like I picture my dream house. In the past women wore their mother's wedding gowns as a tradition, a mother passed the dress onto their daughter. Now women want their own dress, want their own style, want what is in fashion. To me I wouldn't want the memories. Both my mother's marriages failed miserably why would I walk down an aisle in that same dress. Same goes for the house. 
When I went to orientation for college my intention was to be a double major, criminal justice and psychology. My advisor told me I had no chance in being able to double major let alone major in criminal justice. Instead of doing my usual trying to prove people wrong, I backed down and listened to her. I changed to just a psychology major and criminal justice minor. The psychology classes were all very large and the exams were multiple choice. The criminal justice classes were small and usually wanted short or long answers or essays for exams, and required more papers. My grades in psychology were always poor, I struggled with multiple choice, not being able to explain my answer and I had a hard time with the theories. I constantly battled to keep my grades good enough to stay in the major. My criminal justice grades were always great. I didn't struggle in those classes. 
Two weeks before I finished up my last semester in college my father passed away. I didn't do great on my one final and wound up failing the class, which I did not find out until a couple weeks after I walked for graduation. The professor was a jerk and didn't care, so I was 3 credits short of getting my degree. I was able to take an online class to make up the credits I missed with failing that class and getting my diploma. 







2 comments:

  1. Wow! So much truth, I admire your valor. You have been through a coarse phase. Sorry about that. Hope that life shows you beautiful colors in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words! All I have been through has gotten me to where I am now, and that isn't a bad place. Life has blessed me with a great husband and two wonderful children.

    ReplyDelete